Sunday, August 9, 2015

3 Tips For Weathering Life's Storms

Over the last few years, Romans 8:28 has become one of my favorite verses. It reminds me that storms of life will come. We will have heartache because we live in a fallen world. The truth is that God never promised that everything would be sunshine and rainbows. Many Christians believe that  just because we chose to walk with Him, life is easy. But when the storms of life come they get discouraged. But instead He promises to walk with us, guide us, and give us wisdom for the journeys that life has for us.

My family has walked through many storms in 19 years of marriage. We have often joked that we have had more storms than happy times. But the one thing that I hold to in the middle of the storm is Jesus is there. 
Popular Christian Contemporary group Point of Grace have a song "Jesus Will Still Be There". I remember singing this song after I first married my husband. We had just had our first born son Karsten and he was in the hospital for Failure to Thrive. We later found out that he needed a different formula and once it was given - he was okay. However, being a new mom I was worried about my baby boy. 
The storms of life kept coming at us, but I knew one thing in all of it that Jesus would be there for me. I often wondered is this going to be the time when he won't. But He never left my side. He promises in Deuteronomy 31:6 to "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
The Lord goes before us and goes with us as we face the storms of life if we have put our faith and trust in Him.  
If you remember to stand on the promises, you can get through the storm. The important steps for storm weathering include:

1. Stay grounded. You need to stay in the Word, daily. Don't forsake the time that you get with the Lord. Meditate on Scripture and SOAP your daily passages.

2. Pray - this an important step. God knows your needs. He knows that your heart is breaking, the storm is swirling, and that you are overwhelmed. He cares. In the book of Mark chapter 4, Jesus is sleeping in the back of the boat and the storm is raging. The disciples are worried because the boat is filling up with water. So the disciples wake Jesus. I can only imagine what this must have been like. I read this passage and imagine, "Jesus, get up. Don't you know we are all going to die."  or I imagine the disciples talking about the waves, the lightning, all that is involved in a storm when you are in a boat. But Jesus had the perfect reaction to the storm. Jesus woke up and he rebuked the wind and said to the waves to Be still. (Mark 4:39) But then Jesus said, "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?" (Mark 4:40, NLT). 
Jesus wants to speak peace to your storm. Just remember to give it all to Him. 

3. Stay in Fellowship with Believers. - Have a support system.  Reach out to those you trust. Ask them to pray with you. Seek wisdom from Godly friends and family. But make sure you don't isolate yourself in the storm. The biggest thing I learned in my storm was to go to coffee with friends, pray with them. Find a mentor and meet regularly with that person. You will be amazed at what you learn from another sister in Christ. 


The important thing to remember is that the storm will pass. You will have a testimony that you will have lived out after the storm. God will use your story for His Glory!! 


I hope this encourages you today!!

Be Blessed!!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing and heartfelt message. Great advice for weathering the storms in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit today! I love to read your comments. If you have a blog, I'd love to visit it.

Have a blessed day!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin