Wednesday, December 18, 2013

DIY Ornament - Mike from Monsters Inc.

I absolutely love this Christmas season. Today I have for you a cute ornament that you can easily make for your little one. This ornament requires the following: 
  • 1 large plastic or glass ball from your favorite Craft Section. Mine was 88 cents at Walmart
  • White Vinyl Oracal 651
  • Green Vinyl Oracal 651
  • Black Vinyl Oracal 651
  • Green Acrylic Paint
1. The first thing you are going to do is clean your bulb. You can do this with vinegar on the inside and then Rubbing alcohol on the outside.  Let drain on a paper towel.
2. After your ball has dried you, you take about a quart of a ball of green acrylic paint and swirl it around until it coast the entire ball. Remember you can always add more paint to swirl and make sure you have plenty.
3. Set you ball over a funnel inside the paint bottle. This step allows the excess paint drain back into the bottle.
4. Once the paint is drained about 1 hour - let your ornament sit on a paper plate or over a plastic cup for 24 hours. You will need to definitely do this step as if you skip it - your ornament will remain wet.
5. Once your ornament has dried approximately 24 hours later you are ready to decorate the outside.
Mike's face is from Miss Kate's Cuttables. I just adapted it a little. The file is the one eyed monster and can be found here. http://www.misskatecuttables.com/products/product/freebie-of-the-day-one-eyed-monster.php
6. Once your vinyl is cut. You won't need much. Place it carefully on your ball. I will have tips for this in my next post. Placing vinyl is tricky but if you use transfer tape and a smoothing tool you will get it on with no wrinkles.
7. Leave your ornament upright for 24 hours in an egg carton or other holding structure. I used packaging from a gift pack.
8. Once your ornament is dry - place the top back on it and hang on your tree.
.
I hope you enjoyed this fun tutorial and come back for more fun Christmas ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit today! I love to read your comments. If you have a blog, I'd love to visit it.

Have a blessed day!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin